We all open a Google chrome page expecting to find the solution to our problems. However, pop-ups which are an inevitable part of any web page mediate in your way. What’s even more frustrating is opening google chrome from smartphones. Some websites leave wider space for those intrusive ads right before your eyes. Ultimately, such pop-ups interrupt your workflow, and many viewers quit halfway. So, we have tried to present some of the easiest ways to stop pop-ups in Google Chrome using Android, iPhone, and windows versions.
- Why do pop-ups come on Google Chrome?
- Can I block pop-ups in Chrome?
- How to stop pop-ups in Google Chrome from Android?
- How to disable Pop-ups using Chrome from iPad or iPhone.
- How to pop-ups on Chrome PC ( Windows).
- Can I block the popups for a single site? How!
- Tips to solve the Pop-ups issues.
- Why are some pop-ups automatically blocked?
Why do pop-ups come on Google Chrome?
Pop-ups are purely commercial and are profitable for website owners. However, for a visitor ads appearing in the form of pop-ups are annoying and should be immediately addressed. Mainly they appear for convincing the viewers to buy or signing up for something. Here’s why they appear-
- In the form of advertisements for some products often related to the browsing site.
- Pop-ups can work like suggestion boxes where they would recommend further pages the visitors might visit based on past experiences.
- Those popped boxes work like a signup or subscription spaces. You may find such options, especially for video channels like Youtube, newsletters, etc.
- They accept cookie boxes. Chrome may advertise you anything depending on the cookies.
- Some pop-ups can navigate you to some unknown sources which may contain malware or can be infected with viruses.
So, it’s time to disable those unnecessary notifications and peacefully open any chrome pages anytime you want.
Can I block pop-ups in Chrome?
Google Chrome is a vastly used browser for Indian users. And to promote convenient experiences for the users, Chrome does come by default with a block pop-ups option on your screen. If you still receive them, then there remain two possibilities-
- In case you already have subscribed to obtain notifications from any of those sites. So, stay alert before accepting notifications.
- When your computer or device gets invaded by malware or other viruses.
You can know if you have blocked the popups of a site when the address bar will say that the pop-up is blocked. Other than that, you may also decide on allowing the notifications.
How to stop pop-ups in Google Chrome from Android?
It’s time to say no to those pop-ups, every time you are directed to a new webpage on your android small screen. Here’s how-
Step 1. Simply open the inbuild google chrome app from your Android phone or tablet.
Step 2. You can see all options clearly if you open it from the full-screen mode. For that, tap on the three vertical dots ⋮ on the right side of the address bar. Tick on the desktop site for getting the complete display of the page.
Step 3. Further click on More from the ⋮ settings options.
Step 4. Select Permissions and then go to > Pop-ups and redirects.
Step 5. There switch off or untick the Pop-ups and redirects.
How to disable Pop-ups using Chrome from iPad or iPhone.
For closing popups on iPhone almost you have to follow the same procedure as on android except for a few extra steps.
Step 1. Access the Chrome application from your iPad or iPhone devices.
Step 2. There are three horizontal dots (…) at the top of the address bar. Click on More there followed by Settings.
Step 3. Select Content Settings and then choose > Block Pop-ups.
Step 4. You may switch on or off the toggle from allowing or blocking the pop-ups.
How to pop-ups on Chrome PC ( Windows).
Though we have highlighted blocking pop-ups for Windows PC, the below steps are also applicable for Mac, Linux, or any Chrome desktop or laptop.
Step 1. Visit Google Chrome after connecting with your internet.
Step 2. From your window’s top right corner tap on the three vertical dots (⋮ ).
Step 3. Scroll down and tap on settings from the list of options from the drop-down menu.
Step 4. The settings option will ask you for further selections. So, tap on Advanced > Site Settings from the bottom of the display page.
Step 5. Run below and select Pop-ups and redirects. There you can either turn off the pop-up displays.
Exceptions from blocking pop-ups in Windows.
You may find that you require the pop-ups of some websites so you can add exceptions from blocking the notifications of all web addresses.
- For that, you will find the Add option near the Allow feature. Tap on that. They will ask you to input the particular URL you want as an exception. If done, tap on Ok.
- Any time you can remove URLs from the exception list. For that click on the three vertical dots (⋮ ) appearing on the right side. Then click on Remove.
Also Read: How to Unblock Websites on School Chromebook
Can I block the popups for a single site? How!
Sometimes you may feel it unnecessary to turn on or off the pop-up and redirect for all google chrome pages. In that cases, you can block or allow the notification for any particular website. Know how below-
Step 1. Visit the chrome app on your Android device or mobile tablet.
Step 2. Turn on the desktop site as mentioned above.
Step 3. Enter the site address or visit the particular site whose notification you wish to allow/ block.
Step 4. Go to the left side of your Chrome address bar. There click on the lock icon followed by Permissions.
Step 5. In case the menu opens then you can customize the settings based on your wishes. But if the menu doesn’t open then it can be because they are in their original format of settings.
Tips to solve the Pop-ups issues.
Besides the step-by-step blocking of popups, you can simply avoid unwanted notifications or ads by following three simple tips.
- By switching on the airplane mode on your smartphone device. Doing so the site will lose connectivity and again when you turn off the airplane mode the problem will solve.
- Using an alternative browser if Chrome is problematic for you. (But we suggest using Chrome as it’s one of the reliable means than other browsers. Follow the above steps for blocking popups rather than avoiding using Chrome).
- You can close the particular tab where pop-ups are flooded and start fresh with a new tab.
Why are some pop-ups automatically blocked?
For security and protection purposes, Google Chrome may find some pop-ups unuseful for the viewers so they will automatically block them. Chrome team usually does so to protect the users from malicious viruses or other malware attacks. However, if you own a site and the pop-ups of your site get blocked, inquire about the same from Chrome’s Abusive Experience Report. Rarely does Chrome interrupt blocking the ads or pop-ups unless they find something suspicious.
Also Read: How to Print a Webpage Without Ads in Chrome
Have a Happy Chrome Experience!
So, what’s bothering you now from visiting a webpage free from any kind of interruptions? Blocking pop-ups in Google Chrome is quite easy regardless of the device/ android or Windows version you are using. You may contact the Google Chrome community in case you are facing further pop-up-related issues. Provided the fact, that some popups can also be threatening your device’s privacy it’s safer to block them now.