How to Fix Discord Screen Share Audio, not Working: There is no doubt Discord is one of the widely used VoIP applications. Mostly, Discord users are gamers who use the app during gaming sessions to communicate with their teammates. Discord had since made its way to many operating systems and platforms in including Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.
What causes Audio not to work in Discord Screen Share?
- Audio feature in the initial phase
- Bad Audio Drivers
- Administrative Access
- Application issues: Some specific applications don’t tend to work properly with Discord.
Before we start fixing Discord Screen Share Audio not Working, make sure that you have the credentials required for login. You might be asked to log into the application from scratch if we reset the application.
Administrative access is a must. Also, do check if the sound option is toggled to ON in Discord Application.
Solution 1: Grant Elevated Access
- Press Windows + E to launch the File Explorer. Now navigate to the directory where Discord is installed on your computer. The default install location is inside Local Disk C’s Program Files.
- Once you are in the installation directory, right-click on the application’s executable and select Properties.
- Once in Properties, click on the Compatibility tab and check the option which says Run this program as an administrator.
- Press Apply to save changes and exit. Now try running Discord again and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 2: Add your Activity
- Launch the Discord application and navigate to its Settings.
- Once in the settings, click on the entry of games at the left navigation bar. Adding Activity to Discord
- You can go to Game Activity and Add the application in which the audio is not sharing properly while sharing the screen. Make sure that during this process, you’re not running Discord as administrator. Moreover, check to see that any-one of your other “games” listed in Game Activity is running. If the application is already there, try removing it from the list and then add it back and check if the problem is solved.
- If the problem is still there, then turn on the Overlay feature of Discord and check if the problem is solved.
Solution 3: Reinstall Audio Drivers
Audio drivers are the main components connecting the hardware and the software on your computer. We came across several cases where because of bad or outdated drivers, Discord was not transmitting the audio properly with the screen share utility. In this solution, we will navigate to the device manager and install the latest drivers.
- Press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialogue box, and press Enter.
- Once in the device manager, expand the category of Audio inputs and outputs, right-click.
- Right-click on the sound hardware and select the Uninstall device. Uninstalling Audio Drivers
- Now right-click anywhere on the screen and select Scan for hardware changes. The computer will not scan for any hardware not installed and will find the sound module. It will automatically install the default drivers.
- Once the default drivers are installed, restart your computer properly. Now use the Screen Share utility and check if the issue is resolved. If it isn’t, update the drivers. Uninstalling Audio Drivers
- Right-click on the driver and select Update Driver. Now you can use Windows Update to update the driver.
Note: We recommend that you should update all of the drivers. This is very important as we have seen several cases where because of even one problematic driver, the application was not working.
Solution 4: Clear Discord Cache/Roaming Data
Discord makes use of cache and roaming data in its operations to save the user audio preferences and temporary operations data. A corrupted Discord cache/temporary files can cause no audio during Discord Screen Share. In that case, deleting cache files may solve the problem.
- Exit Discord and close all the running processes of Discord through Task Manager.
- Press Windows key and type Run. In the resulting list, click on Run to bring on Run command box.Open Run Command
- Now type (or copy-paste) the following command in the Run box:%appdata%
- Now in the Roaming folder of AppData, find the folder named Discord. Right-click on it and then select Delete.Delete Discord Roaming Folder
- Now restart your system, and after the system has restarted, launch Discord and check if the problem is solved.
Solution 5: Reinstalling/Updating Discord
So in this solution, you can either wait for the stable version to release or reinstall the entire Discord application.
- Press Windows + R, type “appwiz.cpl” in the dialogue box, and press Enter.
- Once in the application manager, search for the entry of Discord. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.Uninstalling Discord
- Now restart your computer completely. Now navigate to Discord’s official website and download the client fresh to an accessible location. Downloading Fresh Discord
- Now install the application and restart your computer again. Check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 5: Check Computer Audio Settings
There are 2 things you should check; see if the correct recording input device is selected and then check if Discord is allowed proper access in Microphone settings.
First, we will configure the microphone settings.
- Press Windows + S, type “Microphone privacy settings” in the dialogue box and open the Windows settings returned in the results.Microphone Privacy Settings
- Now make sure that the option for Allow apps to access your microphone is turned On. Furthermore, down below you will see a list of all applications who have access to your microphone. Make sure that the application you are trying to run has its access turned on.Enabling Access of Discord
- Save changes and exit. Now try launching Discord and see if the issue is resolved.
If you are still experiencing issues, follow the steps below to enable the correct recording device.
- Right-click on the sounds icon present and click on Sounds. Sounds – Taskbar
- Now select the Recording tab and select the correct recording device. In case a wrong one is selected, right-click on the correct one and select Enable and Set as the default device. Setting as Default Device
- Save changes and exit. Restart your computer and launch Discord. Check if the issue is resolved.
I hope this article has helped you in fixing Discord Screen Share Audio not Working issue.