It’s difficult for the audience to catch viewers’ hearts if the audio gets cracked in between their videos. With sound getting muffled and distant the video also loses its attraction and views. Such issues are common when you film using integrated microphones. We have come up with the best solution by introducing the top 10 best shotgun microphone kits for video creation.
What is Shotgun Microphone?
Now you may have doubts related to the special kind of microphone we are discussing. These shotgun mics are multi-directional and ultra-sensitive while capturing audio. There’s a smaller recording angle which would separate the subjects from surrounding noise. They are found productive on multiple occasions. Be it an audio recording while a subject is speaking to the camera or a distant sound covering where the subject is delivering a speech in an open hall.
Checkpoints for Shotgun Microphones
From a layman’s eye, every shotgun microphone would appear more or less the same. However, certain detailed features decide what’s the best shotgun mic or what’s not! While buying such a mic make sure about the following:
- The phantom power: It is based on the phantom power of +48V that the mic can work. It needs power via the camera or any battery or from an external compatible power source. The source of power varies with each model.
- Frequency Response: FR hints at how much sound the mic can capture out of low pitches to higher pitches. The wider the sound coverage the better the performance. However, you can’t ignore the sensitivity across the bandwidth too
- Size and lightweight: For traveling and other convenience, the size, as well as the weight of the shotgun microphones can be a decisive factor.
- Sound Pressure Levels: SPLs measure the sound sensitivity and the upper limit is known as max SPL. With higher SPLs, the mic can capture louder sounds or will work even from far distances with the same sound level results.
10 Best Shotgun Microphones in 2023
- SYNCO Shotgun Cardioid Microphone with M1P VC Tripod Ring Holder
- Rode VideoMic Go II
- Audio-Technica AT897 Gradient/ Line Shotgun Microphone
- Neumann KMR 81 i Shotgun Microphone
- Comica Shotgun CVM-VM20 Professional Super-Cardioid Video Microphone
- BOYA External Shotgun Microphone BY-BM2040
- Deity V-Mic D3 Pro Super Cardioid Directional Shotgun Microphone
- Movo VXR10 Universal Video Shotgun Microphone with Shock Mount
- Shure VP89S Shotgun Microphone
Synco Mic-M1P is a cardioid condenser mic that resolutes to work on the audio quality of the videos. It has the potential of rejecting off-axis sounds and brings the perfect receptive sound in front of the mic. With -42 decibels and +/- 2 decibels higher sensitive
audio-capturing picks more detailed and original sound.
- Comes with a CNC processing metal mic tube and mic m1P can be mounted directly on the camera or smartphone.
- Product dimension: 20.57*13.21*6.86 cm
- With a hot shoe, smartphone holder ( adjustable range of 5.5-9 cm), and a tripod (360° rotation).
- It conveniently rejects the off-axis sounds with highly sensitive original sound delivery.
- The shock mount and soft rubber potentially shock and reduce external noise.
- You can start filming by simply plugging in without attaching any battery.
- Packaging issues.
- Other than that no complaints were recorded as such from buyers.
Those having a tight budget should consider the shotgun microphone. When you order Rode, you can expect a video-specific audio kit for beginners to higher expertise broadcast level. The power source is when you plug in the camera’s mic socket without the need for a battery. You can’t alter the polar patterns or attenuate the output as there are no switches on board. To minimize wind noise, it has a foam windscreen. Work within the frequency response of 20Hz-20KHz and the bass is not lacking.
- The shotgun mic has a super-cardioid polar pattern.
- Product dimensions: 5.91 x 2.76 x 3.39 inches.
- Have condenser transducer type.
- Frequency response between 100Hz -16KHz
- It’s a comprehensive microphone kit that is also budget-friendly.
- The fuss-free mic has well-made noise reduction ability.
- Audio monitoring in USB mode is possible.
- The only area where it lags is the USB cables are not included.
You are at the node of your video-creating experience, you can’t risk it with any randomly integrated mic. Pro MKE 600 is the ideal camcorder or camera microphone which can deal with rough filming challenges. The mic has higher directivity as it captures the sound from any direction and can also eliminate side or rear noise. In times of demanding outdoor or indoor shoots, the microphones can be dealt with greater flexibility.
- Product dimensions: 10.08*0.79*5.02 inches.
- Have pronounced directivity with the maximal rejection of side noise.
- Both battery as well as phantom powering.
- Resourced with shock mount and foam windshield.
- Have rugged all-metal housing.
- It is not solely based on phantom powering, so the on-and-off switch prevents the battery from discharging early.
- With perfect pictures, the low-cut filter minimizes wind noise.
- Greater flexibility in times of demanding shoots.
- The shotgun microphones are not compatible with smartphones.
- It captures movement noise therefore, the subject has to be on a tripod.
The audio technical AT897 is well-equipped for field audio acquisition in professional or wildlife recording or indoor filming. The highly-performed shotgun provides outstanding audio pick-up from far-off distances. Other than that it features swift natural-sounding on-axis audio quality and off-axis side rear noise rejection. The highly performing-shotgun mic offers long-distance audio pickup with a narrow accepted line + gradient design.
- Product dimensions: 19.5*4.5*2.4 inches
- Operated on both phantom power and batteries.
- Featuring a low-frequency switchable roll-off.
- The 11″ shotgun ensures the mic remains out of the shot even when using compact digital cameras.
- Sound rejection from the side or rear microphone.
- Captures long-distance audio pick up with ts narrow accepted angle of line plus gradient design.
- Excellent on-axis audio quality and off-axis rejection.
- Mainly designed for broadcast and video production.
- Fails to cancel the background hissing or similar noises.
Ready to pay extra for amazing results, the Neumann shotgun microphone is the high-end mic piece any content creator will long for. Neumann brand even though is super expensive but does not fail to produce the best and most accurate mics in the world. The mic is designed for film and TV shooting with off-axis coloration. This ignores the sound dips and subjects move around. To end the problems of self-noise, this microphone is one of the quietest generating only 12dB-A noise.
- Have a super-cardioid or lobe polar pattern.
- Allows a frequency response between 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
- The maximum permissible SPL is up to 138 dB.
- Product dimensions: 21.3*2.1 mm.
- It’s a pressure gradient interference transducer-type mic.
- It responds to 90 degrees of the recording angle.
- Handles noise and low wind susceptibility.
- It tries self-noise generation only 12dB-A.
- Even considering all the positive features, we can’t ignore the expense for beginners.
Comica shotgun microphone effectively eliminates background noises and records the aimed sound precisely and clearly. It also offers you a better recording effect as it features special two low-cut filter modes and step-less gain to choose from. The battery status and real-time power monitor become easy with the OLED power and shock absorption design. Based on your requirement, adjust the rear and front position of the shock mount.
- Product dimensions: 9.45*5.51*3.94 inches
- Super Cardioid polar pattern with low cut 75-150 Hertz Frequency.
- Maximum SPL up to 105 dB. The
- Full metal plus super anti-interference construction.
- OLED visualized power to check on battery usage status.
- The shotgun microphone is widely compatible with multiple devices. Including, cameras, camcorders, smartphones, tablets, and computers.
- Lightweight and super cardioid polar pattern.
- The windscreen is also adjustable and professional.
- The microphone fails to eliminate the background noises clearly.
The super shotgun microphone does cover a wider frequency range between 40 Hz and to 20kHz and accordingly reproduces audio signals in variable ranges. The shotgun microphone is perfect for live streaming, blogging, or ASMR recording free from external interruptions. It covers accurate directional sound from a narrow pick-up area and effectively reduces sound from sides to rear. It is supported by the power acquired from the device and doesn’t require any battery.
- Follows a super-cardioid polar pattern.
- The frequency response is widened between 40 Hz to 20 kHz.
- Signal to noise ratio is up to 80 dB.
- Product dimensions: 6.02*2.95*1.96 inches.
- Inclusive of the needed accessories like ¼ inch cold shoe mount, shock mount, and 3.5 mm audio output jack.
- Universally compatible with smartphones, tablets, laptops, audio recorders, camcorders, and cameras.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoor filming.
- Some users find the connector missing while using it with the smartphone.
- The audio quality should have been improved.
Before checking out the features and related info about the deity shotgun microphone piece, know that it comes with a Rycote shock mount. The Rycote shock mount is useful for camcorders, smartphones, tablets, handy recorders, bodypack transmitters, and laptops. The low cut built-in between 75Hz to 150 Hz makes the V-mic pro all ready even filming on a windy day. The connectivity technology is auxiliary using USB or 3.5 mm jack.
- Product dimension: 2.2*18.9 cm.
- Battery life extends up to 50 hours with a max of 2 hrs charging time.
- Follows a super-cardioid polar pattern.
- Preferably for singling as the broadcast is based on quality sound.
- +20dB step less analog gain adjustment dial.
- Up to 130 dB SPL
- There’s an intelligent power on and off function present which shut downs the D3 pro automatically after 15 mins of the recording device being turned off.
- Compatible with most devices including handy camcorders, DSLRs, smartphones, bodypack transmitters, and laptops.
- Long battery life with 3200 mAH battery capacity.
- Selectively works with devices as fail to be compatible with some recording device models.
Movo shotgun microphone is universally compatible with iPhones, androids, Cameras, Tablets, Laptops and DSLRs for shooting. The technical mic is of durable aluminum construction which gives a classy look and guarantees lastivity. The integrated study shock mount reduces noise handling. Within the order, you can expect a microphone, shock mount, carrying pouch, windscreen, TRS, and TRRS output cables.
- Product dimensions: 5.94*5.16*2.72 inches.
- No battery requires the power source is from the recording device.
- Can be used for video conferencing, gaming, vlogging, and filming.
- The connectivity type is auxiliary with a 3.5 mm jack connector type.
- Universal connectivity while con acting with a camcorder, tablet, came,ra, and handy smartphones.
- Comes with all the required accessories.
- Free from external power sources.
- Small durable but lightweight.
- The shock mount quality is not that great for some users.
The robust shure vp89s shotgun microphone does have an interchangeable capsule with electret condenser type recording. It in every way does justice to the price tag as the body is made out of aircraft-grade alloy material which is lightweight with ultra strength. The users can switch between interchangeable capsules including S, M, and L capsules. Our only concern is the little control of the sound as it has a low-cut filter with a 200 Hz frequency.
- Production dimensions: 24*2.2 cm
- It follows an electret condenser-type audio recording.
- Frequency response is between 65 Hz to 20 kHz.
- The maximum SPL you can expect is up to 132 decibels.
- The interchangeable capsules that come with the shotgun microphone are unique in the list.
- Does have a wider range of high-pass filters.
- Given the higher piece range, the wider acceptance angle is not great for some applications.
The End: Have Sounded Results
It doesn’t matter if you are at the starting point of your video creation journey or already a professional in the field. Having one of the best shotgun microphones will definitely lead you forward in attracting more viewers for your social media platform. The budget is not really a big deal here because you can start with the affordable shotgun mics and then can switch over to advanced ones eventually.
- Best Micro ATX Cases
- Best Monitor Arms for Ultrawide
- Best 34 Inch Monitors
- Best 38 Inch Monitors
- Best Super Ultrawide Monitor
- Best Ethernet Adapters for Chromebook
- Best Monitors for Nintendo Switch
- Best Monitors for MacBook Air
- Best Wireless Mouse for your iPad
- Best iPad 9 Cases and Covers
- Best Gaming Mouse with Side Buttons
- Best Noise-Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones
- Best Cheap Microphone for Gaming