You love watching anime that means Crunchyroll streaming service is haven for you is have for you. Users love to watch the anime on Crunchyroll but the bombing of ads make the user experience quite annoying. And there is no option provided by Crunchyroll to skip these ads.
Many users have opted for adblockers. But on the other hand, Crunchyroll applies techniques to overcome these adblockers.
Also See: How To Fix Adblock Not Working On VRV
Adblock not working on Crunchyroll
Always Keep in mind that crunchyroll.com is a cross-platform application. It has a web version along with iOS and Android applications. Blocking ads inside mobile apps is a different story.
- Adblock not working on Crunchyroll
- Update Your AdBlock Extension and Filter Lists to the Latest Version
- Change Hosts File to Bypass In-Stream Ads
- Try in Another Browser with Another Adblocking Extension
- Use Opera’s with Its Built-in Adblocker
- Use Nano Defender
- Use Developer Tools
- Use a Guest Pass to Open Crunchyroll Without Ads
- Use Crunchyroll Premium Membership
Update Your AdBlock Extension and Filter Lists to the Latest Version
Crunchyroll keeps on applying different techniques to circumvent and bypass adblockers. An outdated AdBlock extension or outdated filter lists will not be able to keep up with the newly applied techniques.
In that case, updating your AdBlock extension and filter lists to the latest version may solve the problem.
- Launch Chrome and click on the Action Menu (3 dots near the top right corner) and then click on More Tools.
- Then in the sub-menu, click on Extensions.
- Near the top right corner, enable the Developer mode.
- Now click on Update to update all the extensions.
- After completion of the updating process, relaunch Chrome and then open Crunchyroll to check if ads are blocked. If not, then you can try to update filter lists.
- Although filter lists are updated automatically, users can also update them manually, follow the instructions on the official page of AdBlock. These instructions are for filter lists for AdBlock and you may follow instructions as per your adblocking extension.
- After updating filter lists, check if the problem is solved.
Change Hosts File to Bypass In-Stream Ads
When Crunchyroll plays ads in a stream, it uses static.vrv.co to play ads. We can change the hosts file to play a trick which will stop ads from loading.
- Close your web browser.
- Press Windows key and type Notepad. Then in the resulting list, right-click on Notepad and then click on Run as Administrator.
- Now in Notepad, click on File and then click on Open.
- Now in the Open dialogue box, change from Text Documents to All Files.
- Then Navigate to your “hosts files” directory. Usually, it is located at
- In the files shown, select the “Hosts” file.
- Now in the host files at end of #, add a new line127.0.0.1 static.vrv.coIn fact, by making this change we are telling your browser search to search your system for the ads, which are certainly not there, and thus ads will fail to load and hence, ads will be skipped.
- Then save and close the file.
- Now open your browser and check if Crunchyroll is showing ads.
Try in Another Browser with Another Adblocking Extension
Maybe it is your Adblocking extension/browser which has been compromised or your adblocking extension is not able to cope up with the ever-changing Crunchyroll. In that case, changing your Adblocking extension.
Following extensions are known to work for Adblocking on Crunchyroll
- StopAll Ads
- Ublock Origin
- Adblock Plus
Use Opera’s with Its Built-in Adblocker
Opera’s built-in adblocker outperforms many famous adblocking extensions. I have found positive feedback from users who reported that they didn’t come across any ads when surfing using Opera
- Download and install the Opera browser.
- Now launch Opera and open its settings. (Alt+P is shortcut key).
- On top of settings, enable the AdBlock feature.
- Now open Crunchyroll to check if ads are shown.
Use Nano Defender
Crunchyroll uses anti-AdBlock detection to serve the ads. There is some browser extension that can bypass anti-AdBlock detection. Nano defender is one of the best extensions. But it only works with the Nano Adblocker or you can make it work with Ublock Origin.
- Download Nano Defender.
- Nano Defender can be used with Nano Adblocker.
- Nano Defender can also Make to work with Ublock Origin.
- Then launch your web browser and check if ads in Crunchyroll are shown.
Use Developer Tools
If your adblocker extension could not block ads on Crunchyroll, then we can use developer tools of Chrome to stop ads from loading by blocking the URL/domain that is used to serve the ads.
- Launch Chrome and open Crunchyroll.
- Now right-click on the page and select “Inspect”.
- Now press Control+Shift+P to open the Command Drawer.
- Now type “Show Request Blocking” and press Enter.
- In the new panel, check the option of “Enable Request Blocking”.Check the Option of Enable Request Blocking
- Now click the plus button and type “vrv.co” and click Add.
- Keep the dev console open and check if the problem is solved.
- Keep in mind that you should keep dev console to keep it working and seeing Crunchyroll without ads.
If you are still having issues or the URL for serving ads by Crunchyroll is changed, then follow the instructions below:
- On the Crunchyroll website, right-click on the page and then click ‘Inspect‘.
- Now in dev console, click on the ‘Network‘ tab.
- Now click on ‘media‘, which will show all the video ads that are currently running on the page.
- Now play a video on Crunchyroll and the requests will be shown in the panel. These requests will be from some other website that is used to serve the ads.
- In the panel, right-click on an ad and click the ‘Block request domain’. And thus, that ad-serving website will be added to your block list. Now check if ads are shown on Crunchyroll.
- Remember, do not block anything from Crunchyroll, otherwise, your video might not play. You may have to repeat this process once or twice to block all the ad-serving Keep in mind, you just need the domain, not all the complete URL i.e. just static.vrv.co.
Use a Guest Pass to Open Crunchyroll Without Ads
A user can use Crunchyroll guest pass to enjoy Crunchyroll without any ads and charges. Once in a month, premium users receive a passcode, a type of invitation ticket that can be used by a newcomer to experience a glimpse of all features of prime membership for 48 hours. But there are some restrictions, as a free account can use 10 passcodes every six months. But the main issue is how to get the guest pass?
A guest pass can be acquired through the following steps:
- A friend with a Crunchyroll Premium subscription.
- Official Crunchyroll Guest Pass Thread.Crunchyroll Gate Pass Forum
- Reddit Weekly Guest Thread.Reddit Mega Thread for Free Gate Pass
- Social Media like Facebook pages
Use Crunchyroll Premium Membership
If nothing has worked for you and you can afford to pay for premium membership starting at $7.99/month + taxes, then availing the subscription option to get rid of ads is a good idea.